The west half of this township lies on the same plateau
as the east half of Hickman township, and with the exception of several deep
coulees is quite level. The east half lies up in the hills, and in places is
considerable broken and stony, and contains numerous marshes and meadows and
occasionally a large pond. The settlers in this part of the township have
considerable good tillable land by removing a few stones. In the spring of '85
was organized as a school township, and this year built two good school-houses.
Has not yet been organized as a civil township. Richard Dunne, a native of
Ireland, came here from Prairie du Chien, Wis., in May, 1883, and located on
sec. 7 on the west bank of the large coulee, where the old fort trail crosses
the same. He built a log hut, the only one in this part of the county; the
coulee near his house contains considerable brush and young timber. Of his
children, Frank A. and daughter Mary E., settled on sec. .7; and John B. on sec.
Geo. McIntosh and his mother came here from the Lisbon country, but originally from La Salle Co., Ill., and settled on sections 8 and 5.
John Stewart, from Nova Scotia, settled on sec. 6.
The above parties came here in June, 1883.
John Scheidt, a native of Thurgan, Switzerland, came here from Bangor, Wis., in June, 1883, and settled on sec. 18. His son Andrew died March 28, 1885; his wife died Jan. 13, 1886, and only remaining son died May 28,1886.
Thos. Hughes, a native of Wales, came here from Bangor, Wis., and settled on sec. 5; his daughters located as follows: Katie, sec. 8; Sarah, sec. 19, and Lizzie on sec. 9.
C. H. Loveland, from Michigan, first located in Hickman and later here on sec. 30.
N. W. Coppock and son Charles, from Chicago, sec. 4.
Theodore Ziegelmeir, from Nauvoo, Ill., see. 9.
D. R. Eaton, from Eau Claire, Wis., sec. 2, on the west slope of the Coteaus.
The following is a list of the Scandinavian settlers, nearly all from Minnesota:
Daniel Youngquist, sec. 17;
Swan and August Anderson, sec. 20; .
John Linquist, sec. 29; Swan Johnson, sec. 30;
Swan Ogren, sec. 32;
Mr. -Carlson, sec. 30;
Chas. Anderson, sec. 31. His son Joseph, a grown young man, died in the fall of 1885.
H. P. Strandberg, sec. 6. Mr. Strandberg does general blacksmithing for settlers.
Warner R. Gregory and sister Sue, from Decatur, Ill., located on sec. 11 in July, 1885, and were the first settlers in the hills; their nearest neighbor was five miles distant. Since then the settlers given below settled in this part of the township. In September, '85, three colored soldiers called at Mr. Gregory's for breakfast, stating they had been at Britton, and were now looking for their strayed horses. While they were eating, two Indian scouts dropped in upon them and took them prisoners. They were deserters, and in all probability had wandered about the hills all night, and had been trailed by the scouts.
Mr. Feiris settled on sec. 1.
Mrs. I. C. Stowe, from Illinois, and Edwin Whipple, from Michigan, sec. 2.
Rev. J. C. Adams, from Marcellus, Mich., settled on sec. 2 in 1885.
Harvey H. Smith, a native of New Hampshire, emigrated to Wisconsin in 1849 and has lived in Minnesota and Kansas; settled on sec. 12 in 1885.
Bernarl L. Marpee settled on sec. 13.
Mr. Jensen on sec. 24.
Carl Ogren, sec. 19, in fractional addition.
Holmes and Moore live in the eastern part of the township. Miss Katie Hughes taught the first school in a claim shanty during the summer of 1885.
Settlers On Fractional Township Between Military And Indian Reservations
South Dakota Genealogy
Copyright 2002-2019 by South Dakota Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.